- «If we are to control our feelings and thoughts, we must begin as early as possible observing the movements we make in daily life. This is the only way to develop the psychic faculties needed to control all instinctive forces. Until we have learned to exercise willpower in the smallest gestures of daily life, we will be unable to control emotions like hate, anger, scorn, disgust and the desire for revenge...».
- 1 Introductory remarks
- 2 Bibliography
- 3 Multimedia (images, audio, video)
- 4 Footnotes
- 5 Related items
- 6 External links
Awareness is the other side of the concentration medal: in fact, a conscious person has an expanded consciousness, his attention is not focused on a single part of his physical, emotional or mental body, but it is alerted, and is able to monitor everything, it perceives everything around, it is attentive to all the stimuli coming from the outside, as well as to every movement that takes place in one's being, be it physical, psychic, or emotional. We can say that the energy of a conscious person is uniformly diffused, precisely because of this capacity to be receptive, attentive and alert to everything that happens around and within oneself.
Concentration and awareness, however, are not two conditions in contrast, indeed: the state of perfection is reached precisely when you can develop both these faculties; to act in a conscious way, that is with presence, in relation to everything that surrounds us, with an expanded conscience, keeping the concentration on what we are doing: this is the objective of these practices. These two inner states are well represented by the esoteric symbol of the sun, a circle with a point in the center : concentration represents the center and all the movements that go in this direction, while awareness represents the periphery and the movements that from the center go towards the circumference.
So, for whatever you do, you need at least some concentration and a bit of awareness, taking into account the fact that there are different levels of intensity of these complementary inner states. Being deeply focused and aware while we act, means to give to our actions a harmonious and beneficial movement, it means being in the present, it means dominating situations, being Masters of ourselves.
In fact, Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov explains:
- «You just have to observe yourself at the table to see that you do not control your hands. You wave your knife and fork around, knock against your glass, drum your fingers on the edge of your plate, crumble your bread, and so on. How do you think you are going to control more powerful impulses, if you have still not managed to control your hands? Even when you meditate, you do not always manage to keep them still. You want to achieve great things? Well, begin with the small things, for it is the small things that will one day succeed in shifting the big ones.».
To dominate these "little things", the gestures, it takes a lot of presence, that is to say a lot of awareness and also a lot of concentration. Consciousness allows us in particular to live in the present moment, in the here and now. Many meditative practices have this function: to bring us back into the present, to allow us to regain contact with reality, with ourselves, with our thoughts and our emotions, and above all they teach us to dominate the difficult and negative psychic and emotional states.
Here are two more passages of Aïvanhov on the importance of living in the present, on the importance of awareness:
- «Jesus said, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today". Some have interpreted these words as an invitation to live a carefree life. On the contrary, Jesus is stressing awareness and watchfulness, which help us to live well today. "Today’s trouble is enough for today". So we have to "take some trouble", for tomorrow will not look after itself, and it is unwise to let it come without having prepared at all. Not worrying about tomorrow implies that we should be concerned about today. It is today that requires all our attention, all our care. How many people forget about the present and think only of the future! Since they are living in the present, they don’t give it much thought. Well, it is the present they should be focusing on».
- «The present is owned by God. God lives in an eternal present, and to the present he has given all power. Knowing this, you must all tell yourselves, "Today, I too have this day at my disposal. The past has gone, and the future has not yet arrived. Only the present belongs to me. So – to work!" But what do most people do? They chew over the past, they dream about the future, and they are absent to the present, allowing it to slip by, since they do not know how to live it. For the most part, the past is an occasion for regrets and remorse: people miss the good old days or else they reproach themselves for their mistakes, for the choices they have made, the decisions they have taken. As for the future… if they do not know how to act in the present, what kind of future can they expect? While they hope it will be a happy one, an improvement, they are also anxious about what might happen. And that is how it will be until they learn to base tomorrow on the solid foundation of today. ».
Among the most effective means of developing a conscious presence we must remember the opportunities offered by the 5 senses. These extraordinary tools that the Cosmic Intelligence has given us are 5 "doors" that allow us to get in touch with the world, to know it and interact with it. Above all, however, the correct use of the 5 senses allows us to be in the present. When, for example, we are consciously listening to a piece of music, developing concentration and managing to avoid any kind of distraction, we can get into contact with reality and, through hearing, "we live the present". On this point Aïvanhov is very explicit, so much so as to affirm that the 5 senses not only allow us to live in the present, but also to enter into that state of consciousness called eternity::
- «L’uomo ha fatto della vita eterna una questione tanto astratta che non riesce più a rendersi conto di avere a disposizione tutti gli elementi per poterla vivere: gli occhi, le orecchie, il naso, la bocca, le mani. […] Più avrete considerazione per i vostri 5 sensi, e starete attenti al modo in cui ve ne servite, più vi avvicinerete alla conoscenza delle cose supreme, che nessun libro, nessun filosofo vi rivelerà mai. La rivelazione proviene dalla vostra interiorità e non vi inganna mai: essa è il risultato del modo corretto di usare i 5 sensi. Se saprete educare i vostri 5 sensi avrete la conoscenza senza nessun errore».
The conscious use of the 5 senses therefore leads us to develop two important qualities of being: the presence, that is the state of Being in a condition of awareness in which we can experience and enjoy eternity and the development of intuitive knowledge, a form of superior knowledge, where the 5 senses allow us to decipher and understand people and situations.
Works and/or Conferences of Omraam Mikhael Aïvanhov on the subject matter
- Aïvanhov, O. M, Une pensée en éveil - La voie de la méditation, 2017, Ed. Prosveta.
- Aïvanhov, O. M, Meditazioni al sorgere del Sole, Prosveta, 2009.
- Aïvanhov, O. M, La respirazione, Prosveta, 2009.
Books or articles on the subject treated, in relation to the teaching of Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
- Centro Studi Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov (2016), La Meditazione nell’Insegnamento di Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov, in "Misli", pp. 128 e ss.
Multimedia (images, audio, video)
Extracts from Conferences of Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov (audio and/or video)
- Estratto di Conferenza sul tema Imparare a concentrarsi sulle proprie azioni (francese sottotitolato in italiano)
Published conferences of Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov (audio and/or video)
- Aïvanhov, O. M., Daily meditations 2015 (10 March), Prosveta, 2014.
- Aïvanhov, O. M., Pensieri quotidiani 2015 (10 marzo), Prosveta, 2014.
- Aïvanhov, O. M., Pensieri quotidiani 2012 (1 luglio), Prosveta, 2011.
- Aïvanhov, O. M., Pensieri quotidiani 2012 (31 dicembre), Prosveta, 2011.
- See article on Identification]]
- Aïvanhov, O. M., Il granello di senape, Prosveta, 2002, pp. 17-18.
Reader's note: the writing of this entry is temporary and limited to only a starting point, since the topic is examined by Omraam Mikhael Aïvanhov in the contest of thousands of conferences he held between 1938 and 1985. The researcher will find important aspects of further interest by reading or listening directly to his lectures, published by the publisher Prosveta, the sole and exclusive owner of the rights to his work. Therefore, this artcile does not fully and comprehensively describe Aïvanhov's thought on the subject matter.
OmraamWiki is an international project realized with the contribution of the Scientific Research funds of the University for Foreigners of Perugia (Department of Human and Social Sciences)